Interesting Fact

Did you know...

We provide a unique service to our brokers and pride ourselves on our ability to tailor quotations to individual needs

Green Cards

Important Notice: Green Card requirement for policyholders taking their vehicle(s) outside of the UK after 31st December 2020.

In the event there is no agreement on the future relationship between the UK and the EU, it is likely there will be a legal requirement to carry a physical document known as a Green Card or International Motor Insurance Card (IMIC) when driving in Europe. Therefore, any motorists with a UK insurance policy who need to drive their vehicle outside of the UK must carry a physical Green Card if they are driving in an EU or specified EEA country. If the policyholder has a trailer that meets the requirements for registration, a separate document containing the trailer’s registration number will also be required.



Q: How do I obtain a Green Card?
A: A Green Card can be issued via the Markerstudy Broker Hub. The request is instant and a copy of the document will be automatically emailed to the user. If you require access to the Markerstudy Broker Hub, please email  and our team will gladly assist you. Please note that requests outside of the standard policy cover may be subject to additional charges, and terms will need to be referred prior to a Green Card being issued.


Q: I am unable to access the Broker Hub. What should I do?
A: If you are unable to access the Broker Hub, a Request Form will need to be to completed and emailed to We will then generate the Green Card on your behalf and email it to you. Please note, that we will be unable to deal with any Green Card requests where the request form is not included as we will not have sufficient information.


Q: Do Green Cards need to be printed on green paper or card?
A: No, with effect from July 2020 there is no longer a requirement for Green Cards to be printed on green paper or card.


Q: What should customers who live in Northern Ireland and drive into the Republic of Ireland do?

A: We appreciate that those customers who live in Northern Ireland may cross the border to the Republic of Ireland on a regular basis. Therefore, we have provided our broker partners with a Green Card template, which can be issued to all policyholders who reside in Northern Ireland; either an annual version for any policies incepted/renewed from 1st January 2021, and for existing policies valid to the expiration of the policy period in 2021.


Please note, this document will only grant our policyholder with authority to use their vehicle in the Republic of Ireland. Should they wish to use their vehicle in any other EU or specified EEA countries, they will need to request a separate Green Card, as per the normal process.


Q: What information do I need to input when generating a Green Card for customers who live in Northern Ireland for use in the Republic of Ireland?

When generating the Green Card, the following information will need to be input:

  • The dates between which the Green Card is valid (Section 3)
  • The policy number which should be input after the country and insurer codes, which have been pre-populated (Section 4)
  • The vehicle registration number (Section 5)
  • The category of vehicle (Section 6)
  • The make of vehicle (Section 7)
  • Name and address of the policyholder (Section 9)


Q: What can brokers do to assist with this process and ensure a smooth customer experience?
A: Ensuring the Request Form is completed in full and included with any requests sent to: will allow for a quicker response time. Brokers can also assist by making sure requests are sent to MISL as soon as they can, giving us at least two weeks’ notice.


Q: Will the Green Card differ depending on the Insurer?
A: Yes, there is a different Green Card template for policies underwritten by West Bay Insurance Plc (formerly Zenith Insurance Plc) and Markerstudy Insurance Company Limited.

Q: If brokers want to issue Green Cards on MISL’s behalf, do they need to let MISL know each time they issue a Green Card?
A: No, please just make sure that a copy is kept on file for audit purposes and in the event of a claim if the customer is not able to supply this. However, please note that requests outside of the standard policy cover may be subject to additional charges, and terms will need to be referred prior to a Green Card being issued.


Q: Can policyholders send requests directly to MISL?
A: Whilst MISL is able to handle direct requests from policyholders, we encourage policyholders to approach their broker in the first instance.


Q: Some policies feature additional cover or add-ons for foreign travel, how will this be treated?
A: An annual Green Card will be issued in these circumstances and MISL will automatically issue a Green Card when this business is incepted. If you are issuing Green Cards on our behalf you should provide the policyholder with an annual Green Card in this situation. We do not need you to provide us with a copy of any annual Green Cards issued, but please keep a copy on file for the policyholder.


Q: If an annual Green Card is issued and the policy is cancelled mid-term, are policyholders required to return the Green Card?
A: Yes, we ask that in this case the Green Card is returned to the broker or MISL.


If you would like to print a PDF copy of our FAQs please click here.


Useful references:


Become an Agent

Become an Agent

We pride ourselves on our broker relationships and are happy to combine the flexibility of personal underwriting when required, with the ease and speed of full cycle EDI on the majority of our mainstream products.

Read More


Lloyd’s Broker Clegg Gifford & Co to join Markerstudy

Formed in 1968 as a general insurance broker, Clegg Gifford later evolved into a Lloyd’s broker and specialist in the UK motor trade market segments.

Read More